Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Preschool Storytime - Week 4

I've been very lax in my updating. This has been in part to a very busy schedule and a growing frustration with some of my programs. I know, I know, I should be reflecting on the ones that don't work as well.

Late comers are endemic here. No matter how I insist that punctuality is important to me and I will start my programs on time, I still get parents showing up 10, 15, 20, even 30 minutes into a program. Yes, I understand we have parking issues here, but we always have parking issues, you need to plan for that. And yes, I get that some things can't be helped. But seriously people, half an hour late? Unacceptable. Alright, enough of my mini-rant (I'm sure it won't be the last time I mention this) and onto my program.

At any rate, I just finished up a four week series of story times for 3 1/2-5 year olds. In the past I've had better luck with groups of children separate from their parents, but this time around it just wasn't so. Behavior started of horribly in week one and slowly improved until week four, when I was very sad I didn't have the two more weeks with them I would have liked.

Once again I experienced the rock star side of being a children's librarian (and entertainer) and had a kid tell me she loved me. (On the other hand I also heard a child, one that was half an hour late, tell her mother that she didn't like story time, but wanted to come back to the library. Yay, for wanting to come back to the library.)


Song: Shake Your Sillies Out by Raffi
I need to retire this song for a while, I’m tired of it. So the kids are probably tired of it.

Book: If I Had a Dragon by Amanda Ellery, illustrated by Tom Ellery
Ok, reaction, but not the excitement I usually get with this title.

Flannel: 3 Billy Goats Gruff
Set up story slowly, kids knew entire story, so were able to help me out. Did not tell it real big, very soft.

Song: Hoppity Song by John Ondrasik from For the Kids
Exhausting, but probably helped kids sit better for the rest of the time.

Book: Younger Brother’s Survival Guide by Lisa Kopelke
They listened to this very well.

Book: I Ain’t Gonna Paint No More by Karen Beaumont, illustrated byDavid Catrow
So well, that I went right into this story. I love the illustrations in this book! It's just a fun romp. But, the kids didn't seem to get the end, where most kids laugh and laugh. Oh well, they still enjoyed it.

Activity: Instruments with song Sisters and Brothers from Free to Be You and Me
One child didn’t seem to like noise and commotion this created. I'll have to keep that in mind for the future.

Song: Spider on the Floor by Raffi (by request)

No comments: