Monday, April 30, 2007

Easy Readers

Now, I'm not a fan of easy readers, beginning readers, whatever you call them. All too often the text doesn't make any sense, nor does it match the images, a big no-no in helping beginning readers. So, when I got a couple of advance copies of some new easy readers I wasn't too thrilled. But I took a closer look and what's this? Easy readers by Mo Willems!


These books are fantastic! No less than you would expect from the author/illustrator of the pigeon books and Knuffle Bunny and Leonardo the Terrible Monster (all on my favorites list). The text and the pictures work in harmony. The repetitive text which I find annoying in other easy readers works here (perhaps because the illustrations are so good). I wish there was more to say about the wonderfulness of these books. Oh wait, there is. The endpapers. As I don't have copies sitting in front of me as I type the fine details are lost, but trust me, these are good books.

I will most definitely be giving these to the youngest niece who will be starting kindergarten this fall.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the heads up. I can't wait to have the child read them. We love love love Mo Willems!

Do you know when they're being published?

J. Sue

Kristen - 2ndgenlibrarian said...

It's looks like they're both available now, though I could only find My Friend is Sad on Amazon.