Thursday, November 1, 2007

Family Place Parent/Child Workshop

This morning marked the last session in our second series of our Family Place workshop program. My favorite thing about this program, besides seeing the kids and parents playing together, and parents getting important questions answered, may be the fact that even though I feel like I don't know what I'm doing 50% of the time, they don't know it. Maybe I should've kept that secret.

It's November, which means I'm always a little bit more distractable than usual (thanks to NaNoWriMo). Plus things are still settling down here, after lost of personnel changes and I'm wondering how long I can use that excuse, which shouldn't even be an excuse. At any rate, as I opened up Blogger to reflect on the experience, I realized I had forgotten to provide evaluation forms for the parents.

I know they loved it. I can tell from the expressions on kids' faces as the run for the toys, the parents' sincere thanks, and the anecdotes they tell of their child's excitement at seeing the library. Most importantly, I can tell when they ask what else the library has to offer them. So, despite the fact that I'm so out of sorts today that I hit "publish post" before finishing my thought, the program as always was a sucess.

Next time, I'll be better prepared with nametags always ready and waiting, and everything will run perfectly with no last minute changes. Yeah, I can dream. Luckily, it isn't a dream that we've made a difference in those kids' (and parents') lives, and created a few more loyal library users.

No comments: