Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Summer Reading Round Up

I read several great "make you think", conversation starter books this summer. My quick reviews are overdue.

Cycler by Lauren Mclaughlin
Think Ramna 1/2, but American, and novel format. I wanted to love this, but the execution just did hold up through the story. The main problem was that I could see the author's end game and not the characters. That said, I did enjoy it and the book left me wanting to find out what happens next.

The Adoration of Jenna Fox by Mary E. Pearson
I know everyone and their mothers have blogged about this book already. I wasn't able to get my hands on a copy for quite some time, but then my coworker and I both picked up a copy at ALA and read it simultaneously. What an interesting way to read an discuss a book - conversations lasted a couple of days.

Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer
I'm in the camp that liked the last installment. That's it.

Little Brother by Cory Doctrow
I wanted to love this tech filled title, but I just didn't.  However, it was worthy of my vacation time and truly a great conversation starter on the nature of terrorism and privacy and "is that really possible".  

Impossible by Nancy Werlin
I'm waiting for a co-worker to finish this before I really discuss it, but I did love it.  

Patron Saint of Butterflies by Cecilia Galante
At times this novel of young girls in a cult was kind of hit you over the head obvious, but it still left me thinking about the characters and their predicament for days. 

Generation Dead by Daniel Waters
Another slight disappointment.  Again, I don't think the writing held up to the plot.  As others have mentioned, the lack of any kind of explanation for the American teen zombies was sorely missing. Is there a sequel planned?  I'd like to see how the Zombie rights social movement grows.   

Suite Scarlett by Maureen Johnson
New York City, theater personalities, quirky family, what more could you ask for? Perfect beach read, light and fun.  I'm so glad there is a sequel planned for this.  

No comments: