Thursday, January 11, 2007

The Astonishing Adventures of Fanboy and Gothgirl by Barry Lyga

Fanboy is a lonely, angry, fifteen-year-old, who keeps a bullet in his pocket for good luck and list of names in his head. Fanboy is also intelligent, funny, and a driven artist. His comic book, excuse me, graphic novel, Schemata is quickly becoming the one thing in his world worth holding onto. His mom is pregnant, married to the “step-fascist”, his best friend Cal is becoming more and more “jock” everyday, and his new friend, Kyra (Gothgirl) seems to have problems of her own. As in real life, sex and violence have their roles, from the bully in gym class, to the senior goddess Dina, but it is never graphic nor gruesome.

It helps to have some knowledge of comics and graphic novels while reading this, and would be excellent for fellow fanboys (and girls). My passing knowledge was sufficient, but I’d love to see a true fan’s reaction to this book.

I’ve never read a book that so well portrayed what it feels like to be an outsider as a teen, without feeling like it’s written by someone who’s been there, done that.

I just have one question: What is the third thing?!! If you read it let me know, ask your teens what they think.

My favorite line: "May God forever damn librarians and their need to help!"

No comments: