Wednesday, January 10, 2007

PTO Storytelling

I had an outreach to a PTO group tonight. Now, since I don't often have the opportunity to speak to a group of adults I was rather nervous. The fact that I left my notes and one stack of materials behind at the library didn't help a whole lot.

I'd intended to start with a very short fable about truth and story. However, it wasn't something I'd practiced a lot and ended up using my old stand by, Stephanie's Ponytail by Robert Munsch. Now, I was somewhat nervous about telling to adults, even more so about telling a children's story to them. It was just something I felt I needed to do, so I wasn't just up there talking at them.

It went so much better than I would ever have expected. I made them laugh! I even got a few of them to whisper the repeated parts along with me. And they almost all had the glazed listeners look. If you tell stories, you know the one I'm talking about. I'm still feeling great about it.

I rushed through the rest of my presentation and probably bungled it a bit, but I can tell a story. I'm hoping to plan a program this spring just for storytelling and continuing to develop my craft of storytelling.

No comments: