Thursday, February 1, 2007

2nd Grade Class Visit

We've been having a lot of school visits throughout the year. We do a tour half the time and storytime the other half, with a chance for them to select and check out a book. I had one of the best audiences I've ever had this morning. I was lucky and got to do the storytime section twice, because I was splitting the duty with a librarian who likes to do the tour part. Win-win.

I like to start off with Shel Silverstein's poem "Sick". Today I had a large stack of books with me, because I couldn't decide where to stop. (Unfortunately the stack did not include Who Is Melvin Bubble?, my newest favorite read aloud.) I shared Hot City because I love the language, and to escape the bitter cold we're finally experiencing. I also shared Wolves, The True Story of the 3 Little Pigs, "I Dream a World" by Langston Hughes, and The Paper Bag Princess. I also told Stephanie's Ponytail, which has yet to fail me.

The first group ate everything up. An administrator passing by (and waiting for the nearby elevator) got sucked in and stopped to listen. (YAY!) I was on cloud nine.

I could tell right away the second group of students was different. They were much less engaged and vocal. Turns out it was a special ed classroom. But by the end I had them talking with me and really participating. FTW.

Many of the kids came and told me afterward that they liked my stories, mentioning their favorite bits. This is why I love my job.

No comments: