Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Library 2.0

In an attempt to learn and grow (and as a part of the CJRLC Tech Challenge) I started this post a couple of weeks ago. However, I am no closer now to refining and organizing my thoughts than I was then.

I've been hearing the terms Web 2.0 and Library 2.0 for what feels like quite a long time now, but has probably only been a few months. Yet no one has been able to truly define them for me, everyone has a different idea. In an attempt to wrap my brain around this concept that just doesn't seem to stick with me I've been doing some reading.

So far the most useful piece I've read has been "eLearning About Library 2.0" by Janet Balas.*

I agree with whoever said Web 2.0 doesn't seem to really be a revolution. It seems more like an evolution, with no clear line between one stage and the next. One of the growing concerns for librarians (and businesses) is the ability to grow with the technology. Balas writes "Librarians seek to counter these threats and dispel their stodgy image, sometimes in an almost frantic manner, by rushing to keep up with the latest trends in technology and society." Yes, yes we do. And yet, it's not always wrong that we do this. The trouble comes in to0 quick, shoddy implementation that can't be maintained.

Library 2.0 seems to be the model that was taught in library school, though I don't remember ever hearing the term before. Perhaps where some of the disconnect comes from. I was taught it, but haven't functionally experienced it.

"what is most important about Library 2.0 is its emphasis on service." Finally I can jump on board. Really, what could be wrong with serving customers the way they want to be served?

*Computers in Libraries Jan. 2007, p.39

For a visual definition:

No comments: