Monday, August 27, 2007

Monday Musing: Book Snooping

Bethanne over at PW has an entry on book snooping.

Yes, I am a book snoop. (I'll check out your movie and music collections too.) Further more, I admit that if I go to some body's house and see no books I will either think less of the person or at least be "very very sad" for that person. Is this right? Probably not, but it is true.

And don't think that I didn't keep fellow book snoopers in mind when I arranged books in the new house. For me, it's a matter of what conversations I want those books to spark. Following the same logic, I'm more likely to leave Entertainment Weekly out on my coffee table if Al Gore is on the cover than if it's 24.

Book snooping goes beyond what titles are on the shelf and how they're arranged. It makes a difference where in the house the books are and the type of shelves they're on. I'll never forget a friend of mine in high school had bookshelves ceiling to floor in the living and dining rooms. The shelves were spaced just far enough apart for books to squeeze in and made out of plain, unfinished pine. Clearly, the books were far more important than the shelves.

So, are you a book snoop?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ah! I am too! But I hope you don't think any less of me for packing up my books for the Epicurean Club meeting last Saturday. I simply had no room in my apartment for anything but people! When it comes down to, I value people more (though it is a very near thing).