Friday, October 12, 2007

The Friday Five - Chidhood Favorites

While in Chicago I engaged in conversation with Susan (of Wizard's Wireless) about favorite picture books. My first instinct was to answer as a librarian, with story time in mind, but if I think back to my childhood I loved a much different kind of book. So what books hold a special place in your heart that you wouldn't use today?

1.
The Lorax by Dr. Seuss - I made my mother read this so often she eventually read it onto a tape for me.


2.
Bears in the Night by Stan and Jan Berenstain - Once upon a time this book scared me, but I remember the day I wasn't scared anymore. What a triumph.

3.
The Big Orange Splot by Daniel Pinkwater - I still want a polka-dotted, striped house.

4.
Blueberries for Sal by Robert McCloskey

5.
The Friendly Beasts by Tomie DePaola - This is still my favorite nativity book.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You didn't mention Bears in the Night! That was one of my very favorite books when I was growing up. It was so magical to be able to read it to my son- and now it's one of his very favorite books.

I had so much fun talking to you in Chicago.
-Susan