Monday, March 24, 2008

Kindergarten Outreach

My last job was primarily outreach. I've had little opportunity in this position to visit the schools and so was excited to be scheduled for kindergarten visits before I went on vacation. I visited three classes, with half an hour for each. By the time I left my throat was killing me, but I had an absolutely lovely time. I was able to make everything very interactive in a way that doesn't quite work with the preschool set.

I used some, but not all of the following stories with the kids, letting the mood dictate which I used next. I'm so pleased with myself for being comfortable just carrying a big bag a books and going from there.

Go Away, Big Green Monster! by Ed Emberley
Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! by Mo Willems
Pippa's Penguins by Susan M. Dailey
Catalina Magdalena Hoopensteiner Wallendiner Hogan Logan Bogan Was Her Name by Tedd Arnold
Knuffle Bunny: A Cautionary Tale by Mo Willems
Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak
"The Rainhat" from Just Enough to Make a Story by Nancy Schimmel

The last prompted one child to say "you're making me think you're magic."
One of the classes was very astute, noticing the award stickers on three of my books. They were all grossed out by the kissing in Catalina Magdalena. Yeah, that's what grossed them out, not the nose picking with toes. Kids are great.

No comments: