Friday, March 16, 2007

BtVS Season 8

Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season Eight Issue 1 : The Long Way Home

Oh, how I've missed this show - and I didn't discover it until it had already been cancelled. I devoured the DVDs days, weeks, months at a time. And then I went back and started again - and again. I gave Buffy novels a chance, the old comic books, even fan-fiction, but nothing worked to extend the experience for me. They all felt like cheap imitations.

When I heard there was going to be new Buffy comic I dismissed it out of hand. But then, I heard it was written by Joss Whedon, and picking up where the show left off! I was positively giddy Thursday as I left work to find the local comic shop. And I purchased my first ever real comic book.

The voices of the characters are of course perfect, being penned by Joss. The book does indeed pick up where the show left off (or a few months in the future) with 1800 slayers now inhabiting the world. It starts several story lines that can be somewhat confusing and provide the reader only a minuscule glimpse into each. I devoured the book very quickly, disappointed to come to the end.

My main beef with comics has always been that they're too short. Having experienced the show as a completed work, watching hours on end, I never had to wait a week or a summer for the next episode. April 4th seems awfully far away.

(I don't feel qualified to comment on the artwork, but I do like the style.)

No comments: