Thursday, March 15, 2007

Kamishibai

I've hit on a new method of storytelling that really works for me. Somewhat similar to Kamishibai, a Japanese form of storytelling with story cards.

I wanted to tell Little Red Riding Hood in my preschool story time today, but there weren't any book versions I particularly like and I didn't have any flannel pieces (nor time to make any). So I went online and found some simple pictures (one of Red Riding Hood, one of her and the wolf, one of grandma, one of just the wolf, and one of the woodcutter).

I began by holding up the picture of Little Red Riding Hood (from the back) and asking the kids what they thought it was. I got a few bizarre answers, as per usual, but the third or fourth guess was Little Red Riding Hood. (I was lucky!) Then I preceded to ask if the children knew the story. They answered in the affirmative. This is key, and why I think the story worked so well. Had they been unfamiliar with the story I don't think it would have been as successful.

I told the story, softly and quietly, taking prompts from the children. After asking them who Little Red Riding Hood met in the forest I then displayed the picture of her with the wolf. They listened and helped with rapt attention and spontaneously applauded at the end. :D

This is by no means a new form of storytelling, but it is new to me and I can't wait to try it out again.

No comments: