Saturday, July 28, 2007

Deathly Hallows The End of an Era

And I'm not sobbing. I honestly thought that I was going to have a hard time with the Potter series being complete, but I find myself completely content. Dying to talk about it, yes, but not sad that it is over. Perhaps that is still to come.

I could nitpick; there are a number of things I'd wished were there (or weren't). (I'm not really a fan of the epilogue.) Or I could brag about the theories I guessed correctly. Or I could give you a play by play, detailing every time I yelled at the book in both triumph and sorrow. I'll just tell you again that I'm completely content.

I can't wait to see what the future of this series holds. Will Ginny (my niece) still by interested in the series when she's actually old enough to read them? In twenty years will kids stumble on them and wonder at the hidden gem? Will future readers be aware of the mania that has gripped the world?

I seen Harry compared to the Beatles more and more. This is apt. I can appreciate the fervor for the Beatles, but I will never feel it myself. I feel inexplicably sad for those that will have missed this moment. But I came to the Buffy fandom after it had completed it's run, and it doesn't take away from my enjoyment in the least. Harry Potter, the boy who lived, will continue to do so long after all those who have been a part of the phenomenon are gone.

I typed the above on Monday. I've had the chance to talk about it, mull it over, and even start listening to the audio book. I can't wait to see how my perception changes with another reading (listen), but still I can say little more about the book than it was immensely satisfying.

No comments: