Saturday, July 28, 2007

Home Library

I've been putting off unpacking my books because it is so difficult to arrange them. In the past I've arranged them by genre, by audience, even by author's last name. I think I prefer the genre arrangement the best. So, that's what I started with last night, but given that my bookshelves are on two different floors and it seems all the books I want downstairs are upstairs and vice versa I've ended up with very little organization so far. Just getting the books to the right floor has been enough trouble. It doesn't help that I don't think I have enough shelves.

I've always wanted to really organize them, to come up with some kind of cataloging scheme. But I've never done it, given the immense complexity of the task, and the lack of free software. (I'd love to get my hands on a scanner and some good software.) Currently, the bookshelves upstairs hold the mass quantities of unread ARCs, while the shelf downstairs holds all my favorites and a few random books I no longer know why I'm holding onto. I still have 5 or six boxes of books to unpack, and though the shelves aren't full yet, I don't know exactly what's in the boxes. It's likely that once everything is unpacked I'm going to have to revisit the bookshelves are reorganize everything.

John Green just happened to address the same topic in yesterday's Brotherhood2.0 video. He's actually accomplished what I want to do. Maybe I need to find that book. . . but for now I wouldn't know where to put it.

No comments: