Friday, July 6, 2007

My Introduction to the Harry Phenomenon

I spent the fall semester of 1999 in Japan. One of my connecting flights home was cancelled and so a 16 hour trip took more like 24 and there was bad turbulence and I arrived way too late to get a nice dinner out like we had planned. Why is this important? We stopped at a Waffle House, the only place that was open, so I could eat something. Needless to say I was exhausted and not really in the mood for the bombardment of chatter. The only thing I remember was my dad telling me the two things I had missed, and needed to know were "Is that your final answer" and Harry Potter.

Apparently, while I was away some children's books had caused everyone to get all excited. Since I was told the books had beautiful covers I assumed they were picture books. I couldn't figure out why everyone was so excited about picture books, I mean they even made an appearance on Jeopardy. (Boy, do I think that attitude is funny now.)

I finally picked the books up that spring. I read them all, in the loft dorm bed, in what now feels like one sitting. This was junior year and by senior fall I was already rereading them voraciously. I've already blogged about how Harry Potter probably influenced my career choice, but I still can't quite believe the impact Harry has had on the whole world.

No comments: